On Wednesday, October 17th, Almadina was grateful to bring back technology expert, Paul Davis. Mr. Davis gave presentations to grades 4-6, 7-9, and then in the evening at Mountain View, an adults-only presentation. Mr. Davis has delivered his message to over 480,000 students, along with various Police Departments, the Department of Defense and Canada Border Services. Needless to say, he is an expert in his field.
In his presentations, he focused on social networking, online safety and security, and managing the devices of the children in our care. Here are some statistics gathered from the Grades 4, 5 and 6 assembly at Ogden.
Students that have Facebook/Instagram/Snap Chat – 30%
Smart Phones- 60%
Technology in the bedroom- 90%
Paul recommends these changes that parents can implement right away to help keep their children safe:
- NO technology devices in your children’s bedrooms. Kids are curious and will go places online that they shouldn’t.
- Know and understanding which apps, games, and medias your children are using.
- Children should not be on social media until they are 13+. As a parent, you can choose to make them wait beyond this age until you feel they are ready for what’s out there.
- You should know your contacts and your child’s contacts on social media.
- Know all passwords to all devices and apps that your child has access to.
- Have no technology at the table – actually speak to your kids and show them they matter.
- Remove personal data from smartphones.
- Google yourself every 2-3 months. Are you comfortable with what comes up?
For more information from Paul Davis and to find out how to follow him on social media, visit his website.
Another fantastic resource is Common Sense Media; this website is full of resources for parents looking to keep their child safe as they consume media.
Paul will be back with us in 2020! We look forward to his return!
Paul Davis image retrieved from: http://allenbyparents.com/blog2/apa-speaker-series-online-social-networking-safety/ on October 19th, 2018.