Assembly/Disassembly written by Abdullah 8 Hamill
Mr. Paul Davis gave Almadina a learning project that involved other schools in Calgary and in Ontario. Myself (Abdullah in Grade 8), Sheraz (Grade 7) and Muaaz (Grade 7) were chosen by Mr. El-Rafih to complete the project. The project was to disassemble an iPhone 5c (the phone that came after the iPhone 5),then reassemble the phone so that it is still in working order. It would then be posted to Mr. Paul Davis’ website pauldavis.club.

We began by unscrewing the two screws beside the speaker. Then we used a suction cup to loosen and pop open the iPhone’s screen.

When the phone opened we saw a battery, CPU, and many ribbon cables. At this point we had to be delicate with the phone and carefully unscrew everything.

After some unscrewing and detaching ribbon cables we came to the battery. We tried moving the battery but it did not move which meant the battery was secured in place.

Myself (Abdullah) and Sheraz looked around the battery to pull on something and found adhesive to pull on. Adhesive is a sticky tape used in phones to keep things secure. So we carefully pulled on the adhesive. We had to use a tool to pull the adhesive out, so the battery could come out. After some pulling, we finally got both the adhesive tape, and the battery detached from the phone.

Now was the motherboard. We knew that if anything happened to it, the phone would not work because it is the main hub for all systems in a phone. We just kept removing screws until we got to the point when the motherboard was no longer attached to the iPhone.

We had disassembled everything, we now had to reassemble it. The way reassembled it was we put in the motherboard first, and screwed everything else back to place.

Just then we ran into a problem. How would we put the adhesive back in? If we left the battery without an adhesive, it would rattle which could cause problems. Now was the real challenge. But on the other hand, that was all we had. So we took the risk and continued with our assembling.

We put the camera back in place, then we put the motherboard in and the battery too. After we finished screwing things in place Sheraz , Muaaz and myself all were ready to see the iPhone 5c work.

We started the phone and it surprisingly worked! Our mission had been successful. The point of this project was to understand technology and how phones are put together. Our goal is to help others not only in tech but other ways too! Phone repairs are really expensive especially these days, and we could start just like this.

Video written by Raameen 7 Smith
Editing the video was done by myself (Raameen in grade 7) and Rafae (Grade 9). The editing was not as hard as the disassembling; in fact, it was quite fun even if it lasted for about two days. A lot was learned through this experience, by both but one thing was certain; I was proud to be working on this video! Three ipads held the six-hour footage we had recorded and only the best angles were chosen to be in the recording. After uploading the clips, we organized them according to the order the parts were disassembled.

Rafae shortened the clips by deleting useless parts and managed to transform an hour and a half video to a nineteen-minute video.He also added arrows to to point out specific items. I then added in the end credits and audio. When we watched it, we realized we had made a huge mistake! The reassembly clips were not focused on the main point on the screen and we had switched a disassembly clip for an assembly one. When we fixed these problems, our video was finished.

We learned that adult jobs can be completed by children as well if they are willing to accomplish them.

Credit: Paul Davis, Ms. Reid, Mr. El Rafih, Mrs. Elchamaa

Team: Abdullah, Sheraz, Muaaz , Rafae and Raameen